Tuesday 1 September 2015

Always Be Closing (rough)


it was a movie I'd only seen GIFs of, but it's taught me a lot about the world, success, and how
success gets defined in captioned headbursts. I have coffee. I have steakknives.
I have a David Mamet T-shirt and a woody allen haircut and a
Shyamalan twist ending. We welcome these words when
accompanied by celebrity spit takes, because, as
the man constantly points out this is the world
 we live in now, and furthermore, why not? 


We are transcending transcendence.
It's cool, man.
In a TV show I've only heard the drop-lines from, very serious lessons about
being a bad ass. Its important to live life to the fullest, which means lots
of squinting, punching.
Think, think, think, shout. Repeat. 

In the twist ending I am revealed to be nothing more than a
scarecrow that was brought to life by a bolt of lightning
created by aliens who believe in Jesus. 


This will not happen for a while yet, so pay no attention to the straw that I trail behind me, 
the way that it's constantly catching fire. 

2 comments:

Robert Lashley said...

You have something cooking with the breaks in the second stanza. Free verse, modern language, but with whitmanish/new testament linebreaks and cadences. My gut also says "re read Hugo's epistolary poems" when you re-write this.

graham said...

I will. I have ideas for moving this one forward.